Saturday, August 27, 2011

Rock You Like a Hurricane

New York, NY

It seems weird to think that a hurricane is supposed to come through. It's cloudy outside, and it's been raining on and off, but it's otherwise relatively nice. A bit humid, but not too hot. And in fact, we're about to go out and do some barhopping before we have to close up shop and wait out the storm. In other words, everything seems pretty normal.

I'm sitting around right now with a guy from Israel, a guy from Quebec, a guy from Turkey, and a few other people that are from someplace else - not sure where (they're sleeping, so I can't ask). This is my third time couchsurfing with a group of people, and the second time it's been an international group.

One of the cool things about surfing with a group is hearing their stories. Often times my surfing experience consists of me telling someone about my trip and not much else, because they've been living in the same place for a while. Sometimes they have a trip they took in the past that they can talk about (which will be me once I settle down and start hosting), but I usually have to work to get stories out of people.

Whereas with a group like this, everyone has a story. The guy from Quebec is here to see a boat that he bought on eBay. The guy from Turkey got stuck here flying from Denver back towards Turkey. Everyone has a cool story, and with so many people, it's hard to even get all of them told in the time we have together.

We're heading out now, I better get going. I'll try to post on facebook/report in on here when I have some news on the other side of the storm (and internet or phone). Hopefully the bike doesn't get too damaged.

An earthquake and then a hurricane... one thing's for sure, I'll have some stories.



Sidenote: States have not been very welcoming lately. I've had quite a bit of trouble finding a "Welcome to [state]" sign in the last 3 states I've gone to. I've had to "cheat" for the first time, and take a picture when I exited a state instead of when I entered it. Not a fan, but there wasn't really another option other than driving hundreds of miles out of my way.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! It's saying category 1 now, so hopefully it will stay light. And hopefully you won't add tornado to the natural disaster list, too- they're pretty common after a hurricane. And pre-hurricane happy hour is always the best!

    ReplyDelete