Thursday, July 30, 2015

Grand Re-Opening

How do you re-open communication that's been closed for 3 years?

The last time I posted on this blog, I was in the interview process for a position in San Diego at Qualcomm. It seemed promising, and I'd just gotten back from a day of interviews with a team that it sounded like I'd really enjoy working with - though one of the interviews didn't go as well as I'd hoped. But I wasn't getting my hopes up too high, because I'd spent the previous Fall going through a similar process for a Qualcomm job in Boulder, and then a few days before Christmas I got a call saying that I didn't get the position.

So I was sitting in an extended stay hotel room in Tennessee, thinking about the contract job I was working at an oven company, and hoping with everything I had that this Qualcomm thing would pan out and I'd be able to move to San Diego. I was dreading hearing that I might not have gotten the position, and thinking about trying to find an apartment close enough to work that my commute didn't suck without being an hour or more away from Nashville.

Sitting there thinking about all of that, and thinking about where I'd recently come from, I decided to write down one of the stories from my trip around the US that I'd never gotten around to actually putting down. It made me a little homesick - not for any real building that I'd lived in, but for that feeling of home that I got when I was on the motorcycle. That feeling of freedom every morning, of waking up and just deciding what to do, with no restrictions.

And then I got the job. And moved to San Diego. Suddenly, I was too busy going out and doing things to come back and write about them on a blog. The last three years have been a whirlwind looking back, and while I never had the same freedom as I did on the bike, I still have taken advantage of every second of freedom I had in San Diego. From weekends filled to the brim with surfing, hiking, street fests, and bars; to weeknights as a regular at a brewery down the street; to festivals and concerts and camping trips - I have made the most of the time I've had in San Diego.

But that memory in the back of my mind - that feeling of freedom, of home being wherever I am right then, of being the one fully in charge of what I do - it never quite disappeared. And now it's time to let that out again.

So. Here's to starting up the blog again, and here's to starting another chapter.



For those who are new to the blog, feel free to go back through my old posts about my last trip. Over on the right there's some navigation tools - you can see I've got a bunch of posts from 2011 (the trip) and one from 2012 (the post mentioned above). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment